Thursday, July 14, 2011

String Theory. It's possibly all about vibrating strings.




























The Universe Big and Small.
Dr. Michio Kaku…


“In terms of the Universe we have the world of the very small and the world of the very big. The world of the very small is called the Quantum theory, the theory of electrons, neutrons and protons. We also have the theory of the very big, the theory of relativity, the theory of Einstein, the theory of big bangs and black holes and curved space time. The problem is and this is the fundamental problem of all of physics is the Quantum theory and the theory of relativity don’t coordinate, they don’t like each other. They are based on different physical principles and mathematics they are not compatible. Dr. Michio Kaku, Theoretical physics series / Secrets of the Universe.”


Now I don’t dare pretend to know all about physics because I simply don’t know anything about physics. However I’m fascinated by the simple fact that the smartest minds our genetic gene pool has to offer came up with two governing principles of physics which explain the world of the very big and the world of the very small and these principles on their own work. If you try to introduce them to each other they don’t see eye to sky. How much do we really know? Reminds me of one of my Aunt‘s sayings “Life is a mystery.”

Photography

In a way this reminds me of the different photography techniques of shooting the world of the very big and the world of the very small. When shooting a landscape, a scene as big as the eye can take in, you want to open up your depth of field. This technique will allow for the foreground and background to come into focus. If something very small has captured your attention and you want an extreme close up you need to switch to Macro. This will bring the small close object into focus and blur the background. The world of the big and small solved by a Nikon. ( Insert laugh here, only if you want to. )


String Theory
So brilliant minds work on theoretical physics that fall under the new science of String Theory. This goal is to bridge the gap between the big and the small. (Using a bridge to hold strings in place…..Hmmm familiar, Insert laugh here, again only if you want to.)

Professor Brian Greene…
“The fundamental particles of the universe that physicists have identified—electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and so on—are the "letters" of all matter. Just like their linguistic counterparts, they appear to have no further internal substructure. String theory proclaims otherwise. According to string theory, if we could examine these particles with even greater precision—a precision many orders of magnitude beyond our present technological capacity—we would find that each is not pointlike but instead consists of a tiny, one-dimensional loop. Like an infinitely thin rubber band, each particle contains a vibrating, oscillating, dancing filament that physicists have named a string.
Are the fundamental particles that comprise galaxies and everything else in the universe made of tiny, vibrating loops? So say string theorists. Although it is by no means obvious, this simple replacement of point-particle material constituents with strings resolves the incompatibility between quantum mechanics and general relativity (which, as currently formulated, cannot both be right). String theory thereby unravels the central Gordian knot of contemporary theoretical physics. This is a tremendous achievement, but it is only part of the reason string theory has generated such excitement. Professor Brian Greene / Nova A Theory of Everything.”

Sentimental String Theory.

The Fender - A Guitar that was given to me as a gift from my Dad when I was only 14 years old. When I pick it up and play it I sometimes reflect on a time way back when, at home with my dad, teaching me open chords progressing to bar chords in our basement. There is a sense of pride when I’m holding it as I celebrate my efforts to have kept it in such excellent condition for 29 years. Things don’t seem to last that long these days.


The Ibanez Artist - I bought this guitar on my own when I was 16 or 17 years old. I bought if from a nice young man named Matt for $250 dollars. Matt was definitely the best guitar player I ever played with. I recently had it worked on by the fine people at Electron and it plays better then ever. Nowadays I play it for fun through a Roland Cube 20x.


The Yamaha - My brother and I bought this guitar for my Dad as a Christmas gift. I knew he would love it and it probably was the best gift we ever gave him. I caught him a few times playing to a blasting stereo when I would go visit him. When my Dad crossed the stream I was fortunate enough to get it back . I pick it up on Fathers day, Christmas, Easter, Dad’s birthday or anytime I fell like making a connection with him by way of vibrating strings. I begin by tuning it, play for a while, look at the guitar and reflect for a few moments, put it in it’s stand and as I walk out of the room, where my guitars live, I take one more look before shutting off the lights and say out loud…. String Theory. It’s all about vibrating strings.


C.G.P.

One of my guitar heroes is Mr. Chet Atkins. He was quoted as saying:
“Years from now, after I'm gone, someone will listen to what I've done and know I was here. They may not know or care who I was, but they'll hear my guitars speaking for me.” Chet Atkins - Source Wikipedia


Closing thought.
“Maybe life should be viewed as a symphony of vibrating strings. The living observer would then be the conductor, ordering the strings to vibrate in harmony or hindrance. This would be the conductors choice. ME”




No comments:

Post a Comment